How I manage adulthood + gaming when life is busy

Thursday, October 8, 2020

nintendo switch white soft bed game gaming


Juggling adulthood and gaming is difficult 

Especially when you live in a place where gaming is something that gives off a negative nuance in others’ minds. There is something about the term ‘gaming’ that does not work well with the term ‘adulthood’.

Back then as a child, we don’t have that much to worry about. We don’t have that much on our plate— we are free, young and a little wild. After school hours, we hop onto the couch and turn on our gaming consoles.

Now, I manage my job, side hustle, debts, and social life along with time for my hobby (gaming). If we could still live like we were 10, we would be living a wonderful life, won't we?

That is because we find comfort in gaming, to temporarily escape from our dull reality.


I am often exhausted after work which makes me sleep earlier than when I was 16. How much time can I afford to invest into connecting with my inner child? But when I don’t get to indulge in my games, I don’t feel completely rested. So, should I get enough sleep or should I stay up a little later to complete my game?

Everyone lives their life differently. We all work different hours and what I do to pursue my hobby + treat my inner child, may not work the same for you. 


nintendo switch gaming game bed collarxmalice atelier lulua


How I juggle adulthood and gaming when life is so busy


1. Select a game day


Pick one day of the week or month to be your “gaming day”. Mine are usually on the weekends, Saturday or Sunday depending on my schedule. Allocating a rest day to game, may compromise your other plans for the weekend but connecting with your inner child heals your soul and emotions. Depending on your schedule, dedicate a day just to gaming to your hearts’ content.

2. Make your game day special


Go to the nearest grocery store and haul your favorite food— chips, chocolate, ramen, etc. I personally do not snack when I’m gaming, but I’ve seen plenty of people enjoying food during their sessions. Perhaps it makes them more relaxed, munching on sugar while gaming. I love lighting a scented candle when I’m gaming, it helps me to relax and get into the zone.


3. Plan funds for your latest gaming haul


Oh yes, the splendor of being an adult is you’re earning your own hard cash, but the downside being that you have even more bills to pay. These things will eat into your finances. How can you afford games? Cut down on your gaming haul spree. Plan your gaming hauls and allocate cash for the games. If you’re really into a collector’s edition of a certain game, think twice. If you can do without it, get the normal edition. 


I plan my finances well and that affords me a few new games when I feel like it. I do not spend often, and usually I go it wisely. There are some games I let go and is just content watching gameplays on Youtube. Ah, the adulting life.

4. Join gaming communities


As an adult, it is difficult to talk to other people about our hobbies. Gaming, in general, seems to be frowned upon when you’re chasing your future— or at least, it is a laughing matter in my place. I often get snide remarks like “Oh, you’re a gamer? That’s such a waste of time.” 

Try to dissociate from negative talk regarding your passion + love for games. Gaming communities exist and are very tightly-knitted. Go have fun and make friends. Start a debate or share your latest game reviews. You need that support.

5. Prioritize the right things

As much as I want to tell you to just fuck it, put away all your responsibilities and just game your day away, I will never encourage that. We hold so much responsibility in our life. Being an adult showed me that I have to manage myself, care for my pets alone, get to work and maintain a good social relationship with people. We need to learn that our lives will never be the same as when we are 10. We have responsibilities and we must prioritize them.

I have a pile of games backlogged, but I am in no rush to finish it. I can do both adulting and gaming with these 5 tips I’ve shared on how to manage my hobby as an adult. We might be too busy to share our passion for gaming, but don’t let that stop us.

Darling, connecting with your inner child can soothe your soul + mind. Find ways to connect with him/her once in a while. Even when life is tough, do the things that make you happy.

Towards more gaming days,
Melody


How I manage adulthood and gaming when life is busy



Post a Comment

Sprinkle some stardust

Latest on Instagram

© Miss Meowlodei. Design by Eve.