Honkai Impact 3rd: Review + First Impression

Sunday, April 18, 2021

honkai impact on pc

Honkai Impact 3rd: Review + First Impression


If there was anything that attracted me to play Honkai Impact 3rd, it was nothing but the excessive advertisements and Mihoyo. A sister game to Genshin Impact, Honkai Impact 3rd was first released in 2017. While back then I do not have a PC to play this game (besides, I do not like gaming on my phone), I’ve currently installed HK3 on my new PC and started a very questionable journey into the game. I have no idea what I’m doing.

Most times I am being pointed in the direction where I’m supposed to go. I’ve honestly spent— 6 hours into this game and yet I felt like I am still in a tutorial stage that seems to never end? Where’s the story and the open world exploration? Am I doing something wrong?

About the game


Developed by Mihoyo, this game was first released on mobile then soon ported to PC. It’s basically a hack-and-slash basic RPG game where you control 3 characters, starting with Kiana acquiring other characters to help you fight against the invasion of the enemy, known as Honkai. On the pc, instead of using your mouse to make action (like Genshin), you’ll be using only your keyboard to navigate the character. The keys “J” to attack and “K” to dodge. Even moving the in-game camera would require you to use the keyboard instead of your mouse— and that feels extremely weird.

Storyline


The story focuses on Kiana Kaslana, a member of the elite force called the Valkyrie. Together with Raiden Mei and Bronya Zaychik, Kiana must use all of her abilities and skills to save the world from the Honkai. That’s a very simple story line and as far as I am within the game, nothing noteworthy happened yet. But I do know for a fact, the story is much more than what I’ve described according to reviews from the internet

Art style


One of the reasons I got into the game was because of the gorgeously cute anime girls. The design for each of them is very attractive, much alike to Genshin. While the characters are not as many as Genshin’s you’ll still find yourself poring over each character design because they are just absolutely very attractive, from their color matches to outfit.

Combat system


As a basic real-time hack-and-slash game, the combat system is fairly easy, switching characters to tackle the right monsters. Kiana focuses on using her limbs and pistols while Mei utilizes a katana and Bronya for ranged attacks. You’ll find yourself switching characters fairly often and quick to land the best damage. There will be Stigmata characters to complement your main Valkyries— to grant passive stat boost. Also I have to say how much I love the fluid motions of the combat.

honkai impact pc raiden mei



Music


Unlike Genshin, Houkai 3’s music is nothing to be boastful about. It doesn’t stand out to me and I don’t even realize if there is any bgm most of the time.

Game modes


In the single player mode, you’ll be able to experience the story mode, which is a linear stage with cutscenes, or side stories of the Valkyries to get to know them better. In the open world mode, you’ll be able to explore large places to gather materials, complete quests as well as its own storyline. You’ll also be able to play in a co-op manner, join armadas (similar to some sort of guild but limited). Outside of battles, Houkai 3 allows players to interact with the Valkyrie and Stigmata characters through the dorm mode.

Rating: 2.5/5


Honestly while playing Houkai 3, I have no idea what I’m playing most of the time but all I know is that their combat system is oddly satisfying? Kiana especially who uses her limbs as the main mode of fighting provides some very satisfying kicks. Will I continue playing? Maybe.

Wishes,
Melody

Post a Comment

Sprinkle some stardust

Latest on Instagram

© Miss Meowlodei. Design by Eve.